The Turkish Acoustical Society
The Turkish Acoustical Society (TAKDER) was founded in 1992 with the participation of members from various universities. The society aims to establish communication and cooperation among those engaged in research and application in various fields of acoustics. It also aims to inform the public about acoustics issues. Other objectives of the association include the following:
- to enable communication between people working in various fields of acoustics, to enhance the effectiveness of scientific studies
- to establish communication between people and to introduce issues about acoustics by organizing seminars, symposiums, congresses, and other events
- to contribute to knowledge transfer in the field of acoustics by means of magazines, brochures, books, and other publications
- to establish communication and cooperation between relevant national and international associations and organizations
- to support people and institutions working in acoustics-related fields
- to carry out activities to ensure coherence and consistency in the language used in different sectors (universities, companies, governmental agencies, etc.) in relation to acoustics fields
- to support progress on standardization and regulation
TAKDER has about 150 members, ranging from academics to government officers and from students to acoustic consultants. It also has membership status in the European Acoustics Association (EAA), the International Institute of Noise Control Engineering (I-INCE), the International Commission for Acoustics (ICA), and the International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration (IIAV). The society organized INTER-NOISE 2007, the 36th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering, in Istanbul, hosting about 1,000 delegates from around the world.
TAKDER organizes a biannual National Acoustics Congress, and the 12th National Acoustics Congress and Exposition took place at Izmir Institute of Technology, Urla, Izmir, on September 14-15, 2017. The congress brings together academics, students, local and central government officials, acoustics consultants, and companies, on a productive platform. Every congress has strong sessions on building acoustics, environmental noise, room acoustics, mechanical noise, and acoustics measurements. Each year, new session topics appear according to that year’s interests.
In accordance with EAA’s call for action about International Noise Awareness Day (INAD 2017), a national noise awareness panel was prepared by Turkish Acoustical Society in Istanbul on April 26, 2017. The panel received a substantial amount of media coverage and hosted many visitors, including local and central government officials and representatives from nongovernmental organizations.
The Turkish Acoustical Society is working hard to improve the quality of national acoustics activities by correcting standards, supporting new regulations, revising old regulations, and standardizing different fields of acoustic practices. The society has launched a new program to develop national specifications for various fields of acoustic practice by bringing together experts in the field and holding relevant workshops.